Wednesday, September 16, 2009

It's over, thank God

I sent this out to my daughters yesterday. It's self explanatory.

Girls:

First I love you both more than either of you can perceive. I want you to know that today I was fired for the first time in my almost 57 years. This tells me that the guy doing the firing has the problem not me. When I graduated from college and started in business I dedicated myself to being fair, reasonable and ethical in all my business dealing in my life. I have never strayed from this thinking and it is the reason for my success to date. My pain over the past 3 years has not been because of the workload or the complexity or the challenges that were presented. It was the lack or moral, ethical, reasonable and fair thinking and actions on the part of my superiors. I took a stand for fairness and a business philosophy that dictates that we treat people with respect and dignity. I didn’t fit so I am no longer part of that organization much to my relief.

I take the level of regret expressed in my termination meeting and generosity of my severance package as a validation of my convictions. In short, they admitted that they just can’t do it but they respect my values. Their greed and ego driven decisions and behavior do not allow them to take the high road. I took the high road that empowers people and leads to real substantive success and sustainable results. I will always choose this route the future. It has always served me well and will in the future. This thinking is becoming more unique but it is never out of fashion.

Keep this in mind. It’s not easy but it works. I have no regrets. I’ll take on my next challenge in the very same way. Don’t worry about me I learned a lot here that will serve me well in the future. I’m resourceful just as the two of you are. Can’t wait for Christmas.

I love you both,

No comments: