Friday, May 16, 2008

Why and how does it fit?


I am a person who needs to know how and why things work. This does not apply to all things. I am oriented toward systems that involve business, human interaction and machines. The bigger the machines the better by the way. I am analytical at a macro level being more than happy to leave the detail to someone with more patients.

When presented with an idea or a personal situation within the realm of my experience or knowledge my mind immediately begins to diagram the possible solutions and potential outcomes. It's instant and I really can't begin to grasp the full meaning and weight of any circumstance until I have some form of this flow chart in my mind. This trait allows me to simulate a range of potential solutions and outcomes before coming to a decision. In my role as a senior executive this is a very useful talent.

My challenge over the past couple of years has been to try to figure out why the business environment is so much different now than it was 10 or even 5 years ago. And why it is that so many people seem to have accepted this crazy nutso environment as normal, healthy and productive? In a very short period of time we have come from a fairly peaceful and predictable Ozzie and Harriet life style and gone to poorly directed Keystone Cops episode running on fast forward. I know that people have not changed all that much we evolve very slowly. So you can imagine how difficult it has been for me to struggled with this question for so long.

I have an answer which I will offer in my next post. Here is a hint. What ever it is it spread like a virus and everybody got it.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: